Monday, January 04, 2016

Resolution: Redux



Another year has come and gone.  Another year of good intentions and promises to self left unfulfilled.  I am not sure why it is so hard to keep new-year's resolutions.  I mean after all it's not like anyone is intentionally thwarting me in my efforts to post more blogs, lose more weight, exercise more, spend more time with kids; its just that life seems to get in the way.

Fortunately, because this is a new year, I get a fresh start, a do-over, a mulligan, a clean slate.  Maybe this will be the year I lose that unwanted belly fat, to finish the remodeling the bathroom and to grow deeper in my faith and family relationships.  Only time will tell.

As I think about resolutions, I am reminded of some key concepts related to the Gospel message - concepts, like resolutions, I need to be reminded from time to time.

1. My efforts fail precisely because of that - they are my efforts.  Anything I do to earn a better standing with God instantly transforms his His grace-filled, faith-based saving relationship into a man-made journey of religion, which ultimately will fail because He is not the one orchestrating.

2.  Accountability is invaluable.  My resolutions are typically not met, in part, because I don't have anyone walking beside me, encouraging me to keep them.  The same is true in my Christian walk.  While what I do does not earn my salvation, the disciplines I maintain can help me grow in my relationship with the Father.  Having a spiritual brother or sister (my wife in my case) to keep my focus is critical.  There is a reason the Scripture says "as iron sharpens iron. . ."

3 Perhaps one of the most important concepts to remember is that of forgiveness. Failing to keep a resolution is not the end of the world.  If we don't forgive our small missteps, we won't feel good enough about ourselves to continue the pursuit.  In our practice of living like Christ, failing to forgive others will handicap is both spiritually and emotionally.  We need to remember to forgive much, because we have been forgiven much.

4. Finally, remember the clean slate analogy.  Just like each new year provides us with the opportunity to start over and begin anew with fresh resolutions, the so too does the work of Christ on the cross.  I am free to pursue the spiritual life I am called to because of what He has done.  The stains of sin have been washed clean, and I am made a new creation in Him.

May 2016 be a blessed and joy-filled new year, and may the love of Christ fill you as you go and as you grow.